On Wednesday, we gave you a guide to living a healthy vegetarian lifestyle on the Better Body System. Today, we have three delicious, BBS-approved vegetarian recipes that are sure to please both vegetarians and meat-eaters alike!
Tempeh, Avocado, and Tomato Wrap
- 4 large leaves of lettuce
- 1/2 package tempeh, sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp. maple syrup or agave
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/8 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tomato, sliced
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- Olive oil
- Black pepper to taste
- Whisk together soy sauce, syrup or agave, cumin, onion powder, and pepper in a medium bowl. Add tempeh slices and let marinate while you prep the other veggies.
- Rinse the lettuce leaves and let dry.
- Heat a little olive oil over a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add tempeh slices and sear each side for 3-4 minutes on each side until slightly blackened at the edges.
- To assemble, lay lettuce leaves flat. Add a few slices of tempeh, avocado, and tomatoes. Wrap and enjoy!
Black Bean Zucchini Boats
- 4 large zucchini
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 jalapeno, cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar/Monterey jack cheese
- Salt to taste
- Grease a 9 x 13” casserole dish. Slice each zucchini in half lengthwise and hollow out the center of each one. Lightly brush the tops with olive oil and place them skin side down in the casserole dish.
- Warm one tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and the peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add the rice, corn, beans, salsa, chili powder, and cumin. Stir everything together and continue to cook for about 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and then stir in 1/4 cup of the cilantro and salt to taste to the filling. Spoon the filling inside of each zucchini until they are all full. Sprinkle each one with cheese then arrange them in the dish and cover with foil. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes then remove the foil and set the oven to broil. Cook them for 5 more minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes, top with fresh cilantro, and serve.
Quinoa and Sweet Potato Salad
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 sweet potato, baked and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Simmer the quinoa in the vegetable broth or water about 10 to 15 minutes, or until water is gone and quinoa is light and fluffy when stirred. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Toss together the quinoa, sweet potato, and bell pepper in a large bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, and cayenne pepper.
- Gently toss this dressing with the quinoa.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
We hope you enjoy these BBS-friendly vegetarian recipes. For more recipes and tips for success on the BBS, subscribe to the blog and check out our Facebook page!
This content was originally published here.